So not only did you teach me about writing memoir, you also taught me about reading and thinking about how others write memoir. Thank you so much! Rebecca

Accepting what is to come

You can’t change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

What is your table like?

My writing studio is called Writers Circle around the Table. That is what we do  here. We sit around a large table and write, tell stories, write stories, write poems, and discuss words, language, lines and passages by famous writers.

Tables, especially sitting around a table, has been a basic part of my life since I can remember.
Some of earliest memories take place at the large dinner table with my parents and my brothers and sisters. 

My brother Max always asks for a round table when we go out to eat. He  says round tables make for better conversations,  and talking while seated around a table is the important part of a meal.

What does the word table mean to you? What memories does it invoke? Is your table a kitchen table, a large table with matching chairs, a Formica covered table with mismatched chairs? Is your table in a favorite restaurant, a  picnic table, a side table, a conference room table, or is it a work table?

Write a story or poem that comes from the thought of a table.
Would love to share it here on this blog. 

3 comments:

  1. Round tables get my vote. A few years ago we traded our long oval dining table for a round one. Immediately conversations involved everyone around that table. There will be no going back for us.
    That said, I think we should table this discussion. At least until every vote is cast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handmade by my Transylvania County grandfather around 1900, he and my grandmother fed their ten children at this primitive but priceless table. An aunt raised seven children around it and when she no longer needed it, my dad rescued it until it found its way to my Pennsylvania home
    My six children children ate their snacks and meals on it, did homework, dyed Easter eggs, and dumped backpacks on it along with anything else that didn't have a home. When I moved back to NC three years ago, I brought the table back home to Transylvania County and it, nine feet long, stands in my dining room to greet and feed my children when they visit and to welcome friends. It's scars and marks are hugs and kisses from the children who've sat around it with tummies full of Southern food and hearts filled with love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, what a lovely comment. Your table is very special, I can see, and I'm glad it is home again.
    Thanks for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments in the comment box. They will not show up immediately, but will publish once I moderate them. I respond to your comments when I read them.