So not only did you teach me about writing memoir, you also taught me about reading and thinking about how others write memoir. Thank you so much! Rebecca

Accepting what is to come

You can’t change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

TEACHERS' INFLUENCE

“Teachers affect eternity. They never can tell where their influence stops.” –Henry Brooks Adams

I like the above quote because, as a teacher, I have seen my work make a difference in the lives of others. As a result of what my students gain from my classes, they influence others I will never know.

At a recent middle school graduation I heard students exclaim their undying gratitude to certain teachers who left an imprint on their lives. From the speeches by these kids it was evident that their lives, their future, was changed by at least one teacher and often more than one.

Teaching is like throwing a pebble into a lake. The waves travel on and on and on, even when we can no longer see them, the waves continue. 

3 comments:

  1. Isn't that the truth! Proud days for me, few though they were in comparison with lifelong teachers, but valued all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful to gfeel that you've made a difference in someone's life? For fifteen years, I worked as a registered music therapist in a nursing home before I started writing full time. I feel that several residents may have improved as a result of the inspiration I provided through music.

    Now, I'm married to a man partially paralyzed as a result of two strokes. I can't help thinking that if he never worked up the courage to propose to me or if I had said no, who knows how long he would have lain on the floor after his first stroke and what condition he would have been in if I hadn't come home and found him when I did. If not for me, he would no doubt be in a nursing home. Instead, he's at home, living as full a life as he possibly can with the use of only one arm and leg with me to care for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joan, Thanks for your comment. I have known many teachers in my life and many of them taught me. But I also know teachers who teach youngsters now and I'm especially grateful for them because they affect the future of this world in which we live. It might be one word said or one lesson learned that changes a student's life course.
    Wow!Teachers are so, so powerful!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments in the comment box. They will not show up immediately, but will publish once I moderate them. I respond to your comments when I read them.