So not only did you teach me about writing memoir, you also taught me about reading and thinking about how others write memoir. Thank you so much! Rebecca

Accepting what is to come

You can’t change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Poetry Month, another poem and another poet

Poetry month is almost over, but we have a few more days to share our most beloved poems.


Today I have one few people have seen. I am posting a poem by my late sister, June Council Hunter. Her husband, Stan, died suddenly in 1975 when she was 48 years old. She sent me a couple of poems she wrote while she was grieving. She wrote honestly and from her heart.

If you have lost a husband or wife, you will relate to her poem. 

              Friday Night

It's late this stormy afternoon
in the mountains of Carolina, in Boone
There are only re-runs on TV.
However, they're really new-runs for me.
.
Friday was always our special night
though the entertainment might be light.
I can’t bear to listen to our music yet.
I’ll have to settle for the television set.

Hurting here in the dark, I watch half-heartedly.
as a couple caress, and kiss on TV.
                        ---June Council Hunter


I know the loneliness of loss as June did at that time. She was in process of figuring out who she would be now that she was not half of a couple. She missed the affection and loving touch of her handsome husband. He was so young and she was too young to be left with the responsibility of raising two girls. But she found a strength she didn't know she had. She suffered the pain of grief, but had to make a life for herself and her children. I admired her more than anyone.

It was thirty years before she found another man she loved. 

2 comments:

  1. A very nice post Glenda. I could feel June's pain as I read the lines even though it all happened so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tipper, I know you are suffering from the loss of your beloved father at this time. You will miss those times you had together as June missed those times she had with her husband. When we lose a loved one, nothing can take his/her place and only time gets us through it.
    Thanks for your comment, Tipper.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments in the comment box. They will not show up immediately, but will publish once I moderate them. I respond to your comments when I read them.