So not only did you teach me about writing memoir, you also taught me about reading and thinking about how others write memoir. Thank you so much! Rebecca

Accepting what is to come

You can’t change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Making your way without an MFA?

So you don't have an MFA and are not likely to ever have one, can you still be a writer, a poet and successfully express yourself in words? Read this article and see what this poet says.



I like that Sonja  Johanson says MFA courses don't teach  craft and we can find craft classes on our own without paying tons of money for a college degree. I spent many years studying the writing craft in classes at John C. Campbell Folk School and at Tri-County Community College as well as other workshops and classes in the region. Most of the good poets I know have done the same. 
Read Sonja's article and let us know what you think.


2 comments:

  1. I hope there is always room for the self-taught.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, EC. We learn what to write about from living our own lives and taking classes with good instructors on basics of writing makes it possible for anyone to be a good writer.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments in the comment box. They will not show up immediately, but will publish once I moderate them. I respond to your comments when I read them.