So not only did you teach me about writing memoir, you also taught me about reading and thinking about how others write memoir. Thank you so much! Rebecca

Accepting what is to come

You can’t change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

Friday, July 10, 2020

Not out of Print - find it here

https://www.finishinglinepress.com/product/now-might-as-well-be-then-by-glenda-council-beall/



A poem from Now Might as Well be Then

                                               
                        A Very Old Photograph
                         by
                             Glenda Council Beall 
Shy with the camera,
she stands in her white sailor dress
one arm behind her back.
Her dark eyes, so much like mine,
glance right. Her lips almost smile.

I wish I had known her then.
We’d have been friends,
going to pound suppers, singing
alto in the church choir.
She was loved as I was loved,
sheltered by Mama, strengthened
by her Papa’s expectations.

How could she have imagined ageing?
Certainly not at fourteen
and looking so lovely.
She never thought she’d grow old,
lose her memory, and depend on me,
her daughter, to care for her.
                          


From Now Might As Well Be Then (Finishing Line Press, 2009)

4 comments:

  1. Such a poignant poem and painfully true of many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, EC. Amazon says my poetry book is out of print, but that is not true. It can still be ordered from Finishing Line Press, the publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Losing memory..... one of the things that is really scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Anonymous it is very scary. Thanks for leaving your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments in the comment box. They will not show up immediately, but will publish once I moderate them. I respond to your comments when I read them.