So not only did you teach me about writing memoir, you also taught me about reading and thinking about how others write memoir. Thank you so much! Rebecca

Accepting what is to come

You can’t change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

Friday, October 16, 2020

Kathryn Stripling Byer featured

Tonight while reading Bill Griffin's post about wild flowers and nature here in the mountains, I was pleased to see he featured two poems by Kathryn Stripling Byer, a friend who is missed by all who knew her. I was fortunate to meet Kay because she lived in western NC and was a friend of Nancy Simpson who was my mentor.    Nancy was my first poetry teacher and the class was at John C. Campbell Folk School.

Kay and I were both from south Georgia and we had much in common. I have almost every book she published, and I go back to them often to read and visit with my friend. Poetry lasts long after we are gone and I feel blessed to have known Kay and to have her signed books on my shelves.

I enjoy reading Bill Griffin's posts, and I think you who love trees, flowers, plants and all of nature would like his writing. The latest post brings up the urge to hike in the woods, check out the plants and trees as they turn to autumn. 

My trips now are taken by car instead of walking in the woods. So I enjoy seeing nature all over the world by watching TV and surveying my own little plot of woods here in the mountains of western NC.

Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments in the comment box. They will not show up immediately, but will publish once I moderate them. I respond to your comments when I read them.