So not only did you teach me about writing memoir, you also taught me about reading and thinking about how others write memoir. Thank you so much! Rebecca

Accepting what is to come

You can’t change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

Monday, January 17, 2022

Discovering Writers whose work I want to read


Recently while having time to scan places and people on the Internet that I had not visited before, I came upon this interview with Jill McCorkle, an author from North Carolina who is considered one of the best southern writers. She has published four short story collections and six novels, five of which were New York Times Notable Books.  Her stories have been anthologized in Best American Short Stories, New Stories from the South, and the Norton Anthology of Short Fiction.

I am reading one of her books now. The title is July 7th. Her writing is very different from that of most writers. At the beginning of the book, she gives each character a chapter so the reader will be very familiar with that person as the story unfolds. This was an early book and had some negative reviews, but I will read it and see for myself.

She likes to explore early life and the endings of lives in her novels. I found her remarks very interesting and I think you will, too. I will order Life After Life, one of her novels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments in the comment box. They will not show up immediately, but will publish once I moderate them. I respond to your comments when I read them.