So not only did you teach me about writing memoir, you also taught me about reading and thinking about how others write memoir. Thank you so much! Rebecca

Accepting what is to come

You can’t change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

Tuesday, July 5, 2022

A Poet I cannot stop reading - Scott Owens

Scott sent me an email telling me his newest book is out. 
I promptly ordered it. Strange, maybe, because the book is for children. Scott wrote a book of poems with illustrations for children.   Worlds Enough: Poems for and about children (and a few grown-ups)
I am intrigued and must read this book. Maybe I will then pass it on to a child, but because I think Scott is one of the best poets of today, I look forward to reading this book. Take a peek at the cover here.
 
He is a very busy man with so much on his plate, that he had to give up one of my very favorite blogs. Musings - https://scottowensmusings.blogspot.com/ some years ago.
But I spent much time tonight going back to Musings and reading his words about poetry.

Scott says the art of poetry
“is what won’t sit still inside your head 
what wakes you up at night 
what calls memory back from darkness 
what gives words the shape they take  
what makes you wonder how much more you could do  
and just why you haven’t been doing it.”


Scott Owens will be the featured guest for Mountain Wordsmiths July 28, at 10:30 AM on Zoom. We will enjoy his time with us and hope you will join us. Contact me or Carroll Taylor for a link.

I wish we felt safe to have him here in person, but COVID is back in all its vengeance in Clay County NC. 
I was told back in January when I got COVID in spite of wearing a mask all the time, "You need a better mask." I agree. I try to wear a much better mask now, but at this time, I am not going out to indoor meetings. I can't afford to take the risk.

But you can enjoy Scott Owen's books now. I enjoyed this one so much:
Sky Full of Stars and Dreaming poems by Scott Owens. This was published by Red Hawk Publications.  copyright 2021. Click here to see what others are saying about this outstanding poet and his poetry in this book.

He wrote a poem about teaching during a pandemic. He observes how quiet people are, hardly talking as if that will keep the virus from spreading.

To me, this book is about life, how we live, how we want to die, how to survive during a pandemic, what is really important in life, who are our heroes, and what he notices in his daily life. It is also about Hope.

Only One

My wife won't let me speak
of being old, but I don't mind age
or dying. In all my favorite movies
the good guys always die, heroically, 
of course, fighting to the very end,
seizing every moment, making
whatever has come before, worthwhile.
Like them, I think that must be
what matters most. And like them I think
if I'm busy enough, distracted by what
I am doing, doing for what I believe in,
for living, then it will be worthwhile
to the very end, and the end itself
might pass without me noticing at all.

Thanks, Scott. I feel the same about this living and dying business. Having watched loved ones die, I am not afraid of dying, just the process that can take a long time. I am a member of Compassion and Choices which I hope will help me go without "noticing at all."


2 comments:

  1. Glenda, Thank you for your very generous remarks. I have always enjoyed my visits to Hayesville and regret that I can't appear in the flesh there again. I look forward to seeing everyone virtually (since seeing virtually everyone would be too much to hope for) and hope that we have an enjoyable sharing of words. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make it better for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Scott, for your friendship all these years and for continuing to write your exquisite poetry. We look forward to seeing you on the 28th.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments in the comment box. They will not show up immediately, but will publish once I moderate them. I respond to your comments when I read them.