So not only did you teach me about writing memoir, you also taught me about reading and thinking about how others write memoir. Thank you so much! Rebecca

Accepting what is to come

You can’t change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Reading at the John C. Campbell Folk School on November 16 - Beall and Bell

Staci Lynn Bell and Glenda Council Beall are featured readers at the John C. Campbell Folk School on Wednesday evening, November 16, 7:00 p.m. in the living room at the Keith House.  The Folk School is located in Brasstown, NC in Clay County.

Staci Lynn Bell 

It is always an honor to be invited to read at the Folk School. As a member of the North Carolina Writers' Network-West, a program of the state organization, NCWN, I have read there many times over the years. Students from all over the world attend classes at the folk school where they learn crafts of all kinds and where a writing program was added to the curriculum about 20 years ago.

I was fortunate to be given a scholarship in 1995 to a poetry class taught by Nancy Simpson. From that class I went on to study at the folk school with Kathryn Stripling Byer, Steven Harvey, Carol Crawford, Maureen Ryan Griffin and many, many more outstanding poets and writers. 

Thanks to that writing program where Nancy Simpson was writer in residence for a number of years, my education in writing was begun there. I went on to take as many workshops and attend as many conferences as possible to enhance my knowledge and skills.
Glenda Beall


The day I walked in as a teacher at JCCFS, was one of the highlights of my life. 

Reading with me on Wednesday evening, November 16, is an up and coming poet and writer, Staci Lynn Bell, a Chicago native who attended the University of Wisconsin, Madison. She was a radio and TV personality in Florida for twenty-five years before moving to the mountains of North Carolina.

Staci writes stories and poems that tug at the heartstrings. Her passion is dogs and she writes about them and about wolves as well as human relationships.
Staci has published in a number of anthologies and her poetry has appeared in Wild Goose Poetry Review. She has a poem in the new Kakalak 2016 anthology of North Carolina poets which will be out the end of this year. 

Staci and I would love for you to come to our reading if you are in this area. It is free and the public is invited. I promise you will not be bored.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds wonderful.
    Obviously I can't be there, but hope that the participants and the spectators have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, EC. We had a good audience and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments in the comment box. They will not show up immediately, but will publish once I moderate them. I respond to your comments when I read them.