So not only did you teach me about writing memoir, you also taught me about reading and thinking about how others write memoir. Thank you so much! Rebecca

Accepting what is to come

You can’t change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What We Give Makes a Life


“From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life.” –Arthur Ashe

We watched Arthur Ashe play tennis and admired his skill and his poise as well as the gentlemanly way he behaved on the court and off. I wonder how many young people were influenced by this talented man. 

If I could give a word of advice to young people today, I'd suggest they volunteer their time to work with older people. Go to retirement centers and give whatever talent you have for the well-being of others. The men and women considered seniors are rich sources of stories and history of a time so different from today's world. Give some time and take away inspiration, common sense advice, and beautiful tales of life you would never find anywhere else.






1 comment:

  1. So true, Glenda.Retirement centers, Senior Centers, Assisted Living centers, and many more places where seniors gather are perfect places for readings of poetry or short stories. Also, young people with talent...musical ability, singing, are greeted with big smiles and genuine applause before and after. My son sang and played piano and my neighbor's children played violins. I took them to a favorite nursing home and the kids got as much out of the visits as the seniors they serenaded. You get what you give.
    Thanks for this reminder.
    Nancy Purcell

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments in the comment box. They will not show up immediately, but will publish once I moderate them. I respond to your comments when I read them.